6.21.2016

Confessions of a part-timer

I often meet people who have invited Jesus into their heart; far less who have invited Him into their life. As a boy raised in western culture where claiming Christ was the norm, I was allowed the opportunity to give Him my heart, while reserving my life. I’m learning that this opportunity is not granted to most followers of Christ. In fact, most believers worldwide have never heard of such a thing, and struggle to grasp how this could even be possible.

When I talk with people, I often share that I am a follower of Jesus. And this is true… to an extent. The reality is that I am only part-time, because sometimes He walks into situations that I’m not 100% comfortable with. I used to justify myself by claiming that Jesus wouldn’t want to go there. But I'm learning that my Jesus loves to dine in the home of sinners. After eating a meal with Zacchaeus, a hated tax collector among the Jews, Jesus declared: “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost” (Luke 19:10). I must confess that at times I have chosen to flat out deny that Jesus would want to spend time with “lost” people, rather than embracing them as Jesus truly desires. It’s much easier to conclude that Jesus refuses to associate with certain people, than to follow Him into those uncomfortable places where we will undoubtedly experience persecution.

Persecution is a word thrown around quite a bit. If you’re like me, then you probably have little personal experience with persecution. I just finished reading a book called The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken. It’s really good. I haven’t read a book that fast since the last Harry Potter book (let's be real, JK Rowling is a stud author!). Throughout the book, Ripken recounts testimonies of Christians in various countries around the world who have experienced ongoing persecution for their faith. Several times I caught myself on the verge of tears as I read of these men and women of God who had given everything to follow Jesus.

“After almost twenty years of walking through this world of persecution and talking to hundreds of believers who suffer for their faith, we can say without a shadow of a doubt that the primary cause of “religious persecution” in the world today is people surrendering their hearts and lives to Jesus.” (p. 305)

The church is on fire in China today. The believers there understand that they will likely serve time in prison for their faith. Most of the church leaders and pastors have spent at least 3 years behind bars. They endure starving, beatings, and various tortures, all because they have chosen to follow this man named Jesus and yield their lives completely to Him.

“Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.” (John 15:20)

So rather than asking why Christians are experiencing persecution in our world today, perhaps a better question is to ask why I rarely do. The reality is that full-time followers of Jesus WILL inevitably experience persecution.

Here are 2 other quotes from The Insanity of God that have messed me up pretty good:

“So if our goal is reducing persecution, that task is easily achieved. First, just leave Jesus alone. Second, if you do happen to find Him, just keep Him to yourself. Persecution stops immediately where there is no faith and where there is no witness.” (p. 307)

“Satan at his worst, evil at its core, and persecution in its essence does not overtly seek to starve, beat, imprison, torture, or kill followers of Jesus. The strategy of Satan is simpler and more diabolical that that. What is Satan’s paramount intent? Quite simply, it is this: denying the world access to Jesus! Satan’s greatest desire is for people on this planet to leave Jesus alone.” (p. 309-310)

I’ve counted the cost. I yield my heart AND my life to you, Jesus. I want to follow you full-time from now on.
 UPDATE:

I left Kenya last week expecting to travel directly to Burundi, but because of delays in processing my visa, I ran an audible and am now posted up in Kigali, Rwanda where I am volunteering with Youth for Christ (YFC). I have had a blast working with the students in YFC’s leadership and discipleship school. I’ve also been able to help out with a biogas project they are starting up on the compound. Known as the land of 1,000 hills, Rwanda is absolutely stunning. I've had the opportunity to travel around a bit and have been blown away by the beauty of this place. I covet your prayers. Please be praying that my visa to Burundi is processed soon because the folks I am working with have some projects waiting on me. Also, please pray that I am able to maintain peace as I say goodbye to people in one place and begin new relationships with people in other places.

PHOTOS:
Standing on the border with my dude David Bryant in Meru, Kenya.

A game of football with street boys from Isiolo, Kenya.

Seeing Mt. Kenya with my friend Wisdom (Nibc Kenya) in Nanyuki, Kenya.

Reunited with my bro Isaac Loseke in Kijabe, Kenya.

The Youth for Christ School of Leadership and Discipleship in Kigali, Rwanda.

Sunset at Lake Kivu, Rwanda.

God is good all the time.

WC

No comments:

Post a Comment